[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Dorothy B. Hughes, Anyone?

Has anyone ever read anything by Dorothy B. Hughes? I'm about half-way
through one called RIDE THE PINK HORSE (1946) and I thought I'd report
it is definitely in the hard-boiled category. There is no overt violence
so far, but there is a tension that something is about to explode as
Chicago tough-guys are congregating in a small western town in the
middle of a Fiesta. They are definitely out of their element here far
from the streets of the Windy City as they come into contact with a
western, Native-American, and Spanish-speaking culture. A crooked U.S.
Senator and his fixer are meeting and have a clash over money while a
Chicago homicide detective has also shown up. There is a lot of
discussion about a previous murder, and as I said, everything is about
to explode. So far: recommended for hard-boiled and noir fanciers, like
myself. Can anyone recommend any other Hughes works?

Richard King
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca