[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: A Chandler Connection

>I haven't read all the commentary on The Long Goodbye, but apparently it is
>a commonplace that Wade (the alcoholic author), Terry Lennox, and Marlow
>are all connected to Chandler.

Nothing I have ever read about Chandler ever reminds me of Marlowe except
for Chandler's WWI service in the Air Force.  Other than reading P. I.
stories in Black Mask, I have often wondered what pushed this English
educated poet to write P. I. and to stay with it so long.

Later in life he seemed to be kind of a prig, which neither reminds me
neither of Marlowe or Lennox.  Lennox was a romantic drunk, whereas
Chandler always struck me a sort of a whiny drunk.

Whatever, he certainly could write about alcoholism, and I guess that is
all that matters.  He is without a doubt my favorite P. I. author.

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]