[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: What are you reading?

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, M. Taboada wrote:

: *K. C. Constantine - "The man who liked to look at himself"
: (Garland).  What a wonderful writer Constantine is! This is a gritty
: crime novel, with an unusual depth of characterization, local
: flavor, and a strong plot. Whoever he/she is, Constantine must be
: counted among the top mystery writers of the past couple of
: decades. Those who like Crumley will probably love Constantine, if
: they don't already.

I keep seeing Constantine books in the stores, but there's something
about the covers that made them not grab me.  (Do any modern covers
equal the Black Lizards or the Mysterious Presses?  Their reprint of
_A Swell-Looking Babe_ was what turned me on to Jim Thompson.)
However, with this recommendation, I'll try him or her out.  Would
this be a good one to start with, or is their one sockeroo book I
should start with?

I haven't been reading any hardboiled stuff lately, but I've been
staying pulpy with some Doc Savage and Tarzan.  Once I finished this
SF thing I'm on, it's back to Frederic Brown.

Bill
--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : buff@vex.net : Caveat lector.
http://www.vex.net/~buff/        <-- Anything on io.org is toast.