[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Butter and egg men don't go on the gooseberry lay.

Two of the slang expressions that I couldn't figure out for a long
time were "gooseberry lay" and "butter and egg man."  Eddie Duggan and
Ken Yousten (both on this list) helped me out with them; Eddie by
sending me a photocopy of an article by Erle Stanley Gardner and Ken
by quoting a biography of Texas Guinan.  I put up a couple new web
pages tonight, with relevant information:

    http://www.vex.net/~buff/gooseberry.html and
    http://www.vex.net/~buff/butter_and_egg.html

I'll probably get around to typing in the rest of the Gardner piece.
It's a nice little thing.

Bill "Don't call me a gunsel" Denton
--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : buff@vex.net : Caveat lector.