[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: What are you reading?

Since things have been too quiet here, I'll launch the old reliable
discussion...what have you read recently? Here go mine:

*Robert Leslie Bellem - "Blue Murder" (D. MacMillan). I found this in
our university library while looking for something else; the cover art
is deliciously pulpy, and the novel even more so. No depth of
characterization? Of course not. That Bellem was a writing machine?
Of course. That the plot is hardly believable and almost chokes itself
with twists? Granted. Nevertheless, this was great fun.

*Cornell Woolrich (and L. Block) - "Into the Night" (Mysterious Press).
This is one I thought I had read but hadn't. It's Woolrich's unfinished
novel, completed by Lawrence Block. While not as good as Woolrich's
best efforts, this is a very good dark suspense novel.

*K. C. Constantine - "The man who liked to look at himself" (Garland).
What a wonderful writer Constantine is! This is a gritty crime novel,
with an unusual depth of characterization, local flavor, and a strong
plot. Whoever he/she is, Constantine must be counted among the top
mystery writers of the past couple of decades. Those who like Crumley
will probably love Constantine, if they don't already.

I guess I'd better stop here; let's hear from others!

Regards,

Mario Taboada
(in rainy Norfolk)

-