[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled westerns

James Stephenson wrote:

> I've just finished reading Donald Hamilton's 1956 western _Mad River_;
> fine hard-boiled writing, action, and characters.  The novel features a
> pragmatic and not particularly virtuous hero, and a supporting cast of
> characters displaying various shades of "bad" behavior. With just a
> superficial rewrite this would have made a fine "noir" crime story.

Jim:
Is this the book about the tough man from the East (probably Boston) who
shows up out west wearing a Derby hat, which makes the local cowboys try
to pick on him and they find out that no, he isn't a dandified sissy at
all? A female character named Nan? If so, this is a really good one.

--
Richard L. King
rlking@marsh.vinu.edu