[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Raymond Chandler Biography

Frank Glenwinkel asked about the new Chandler biography by Tom Hiney. I'm
looking at the catalog copy here on my desk, and debating whether I should
type it all in or just the good bits. The book will be published by
Grove/Atlantic, which published my most recent novel, Shooting Elvis - the
reason the catalog is within arm's reach. The copy recites the usual well
known Chandler facts, and adds, "...Tom Hiney has had access to previously
unseen personal papers, as well as to the heretofore unrecorded accounts of
those who knew Chandler well, throughout his life."

I mentioned the book to the estimable Jiro Kimura (Gumshoe Site), who
commented that the book would have to be awfully good to compete with the
Frank McShane biography, but that if it shed light on his years in England
and Europe, it would be worth the read. I agree. Grove doesn't know very
much at all about crime literature, but they do have a taste for good
writing, and most of their books are well received critically.

While we're all shedding a bit of light around here, I could do with some
illumination myself. Frank, you live in Germany. The German translation
rights to Shooting Elvis were purchased last year by Kruger Verlag, which
promised publication last month, but has not communicated with me since the
fall. Have you seen it?

Robert M. Eversz
dedalus@terminal.cz
SHOOTING ELVIS
US & International Publishing Information:
<http://netrix.terminal.cz/shooting.elvis>

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]