[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Cracker

Am I the last hardboiled type to discover Cracker Mysteries, the British TV
series?  Our library just purchased video copies of the first three
episodes:  The Mad Woman in the Attic; To Say I Love You; One Day a Lemming
Will Fly.  Man, I don't know where to start.  These are great!!!  First
off, for those who don't know, these feature a psychologist named Dr. Eddie
Fitzgerald, played by Robbie Coltrane.  He's fat, obnoxious, unfaithful,
drunk, a chain smoker, and an obsessive gambler.  But he is a great
criminal psychologist, so he ends up allied to D.C.I. David Bilborough,
played by Christopher Eccleston.  Bilborough's investigative team includes
the very bad D.S. Jimmy Beck, but I bet every guy is in love with D.S. Jane
Penhaligon (why not--Fitz is). This is despite the fact that he is
obsessively trying to re-unite with his estranged wife Judith, played by
Barbara Flynn.

Each episode is directed by a different person, but the three shows had the
same feel.  As powerful as Homicide: Life on the Streets and as graphic as
Pulp Fiction.  The dialog is superb, the acting is magnificent, the plots
are suspect (aren't they always), but who you won't care.  Cause this is
hardboiled heaven.  Am I the only fan?  Am I the only one who doesn't
understand why they are called Cracker?

And, please tell me there are more than three of these!  Please?

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca