[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Peter Collinson

I took a look at my copies of the Johnson, Nolan and Symons biographies.
Interestingly enough, the Johnson doesn't reference Collinson in its index.
 Hmmmmmm?  Nolan and Symons both mention that Hammett wrote these stories,
but don't provide a list.  Bummer.  The 1974 book The Detective Short
Story: a Bibliography and Index lists none.

According to the Index to Crime and Mystery Anthologies, the short story
The Road Home (orig from Black Mask Dec,1922) is in the Ruhm collection The
Hard-boiled Detective (Vintage, 1977).

So that leads to the question--just how many short stories under Collinson
did Hammett write.  Maybe there is no collection because there aren't
enough stories?

Library of America recently did the Chandler pantheon by reprinting the
pulp stories with the early novels in one volume, and the later novels in
volume two.  The editor told me that Hammett would be next, and maybe we
can hope that all (and I do mean all) of the short stories would be
included.  Bruce Taylor, who runs the San Francisco Mystery Bookstore,
tells a story about a Hammett short story that has never seen the light of
day, buried by the estate with his papers in some library in Texas.

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca