[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: [Fwd: Re: W. T. Stead [10839] & Shiel [10847] [10851]]

Herewith forwarded an example of Hammett as literary critic.

David Skene-Melvin

-- BEGIN included message

I read several of M.P. Shiel's works when I was in my '20's; I can recall
"The Purple Cloud" and what must have been the 1901 version of "The Lord
of the Sea", and enjoyed them immensely. I would whole-heartedly endorse
Dashiell Hammett's 'Continental Op' in his one-paragraph review of the
latter book (see "The Gutting of Couffignal").
    "The book was called 'The Lord of the Sea', and had to do with a
strong, tough and violent fellow named Hogarth, whose modest plan it was
to hold the world in one hand. There were plots and counter-plots,
kidnapings, murders, prisonbreakings, forgeries and burglaries, diamonds
as large as hats, and floating forts larger than (the island of)
Couffignal. It sounds dizzy here, but in the book it was as real as a
dime."
Peter Wood

-- END included message

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]