[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Faulkner's drinking

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Rita Rippetoe wrote:

> sIf one believes the thesis of _The Thirsty Muse_ (sorry, I don't have the
> author's name), it was alcoholism which corrupted Faulkner. It also cost
> him his Hollywood jobs as he became too unreliable because of periodic
> blackouts and bouts in drying out facilities.

I agree Rita.  Faulkner drank before & after Hollywood, but in Oxford
he could set his own schedule & wrote around drinking.

Hollywood exentuates flaws, but the flaws were there before they got to
Hollywood.  Hellman, a prodigious drinker, wrote well in Hollywood.
Hammett, who shouldn't have been drinking, did not.

Virginia

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca