[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Hollywood - Bloch

After reading the very interesting comments by Robert and Healy, the
story of Robert Bloch and "Psycho" came to my mind. I remember reading
that he was paid a sum (a small one) up front, and never made another dime
from the enormously successful film. Not only that, but he got
pigeon-holed in an unhealthy way as a writer in the style of "Psycho".
In reality, his achievements cover a much broader area, but for many
he is and will remain stereotyped. I suppose the famous film *did* do
something for him, but I am not sure that the publicity was sufficient
compensation.

Incidentally, last summer I read a couple of volumes of his collected
stories and was very impressed by his talent and range in this medium.
Does anyone else in this list read Bloch?

Regards,

Mario Taboada (recently out of Tinseltown and not missing it - well,
L.A. does have nice mystery stores!)

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca