[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: - Gault / HB and Noir..with music

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Etienne Borgers wrote:

: I suppose, M Taboada refers more to the form and analogy in
: construction(giving a sentiment of fulfilness?) than to Haydn's
: music as a support for the book, or as a direct musical equivalent
: to the book. ?

He probably was, but my mind got to thinking on a different track. :)

: Maybe another ground for evoking music linked to HB is simply the
: soundtracks of a lot of Noir or HB films carrying typical music.  As
: a matter of fact, after WW2, most of the time, the musical
: background for these films was Jazz; IMO a perfect musical domain
: for this, as Jazz can be exuberant, violent, or very smooth,
: sensual.. and can bring a rhythm 'echo' to the montage of the
: film...

I'd agree.  But even without the movies, I think jazz is the sound of
the hardboiled novel.  Sometimes a small bop combo, sometimes a big
swing band, sometimes something more sweet and other times something
more orchestrated (like Elmer Bernstein's works - I wonder how many
hardboiled composers there are?).

The two jazz scenes from books that spring to mind right away are one
from a David Goodis story where Dizzy Gillespie is playing on the
radio and one hood likes it and the others don't, and the part in
_Phantom Lady_, by Cornell Woolrich, where the pot-smoking drummer
(who I always think of as Elisha Cook, Jr.) gets frantic in a club
while the girl is leading him on.

: It happens that yesterday 16 Feb, I loaded my Website: Hard-Boiled
: Mysteries, with a chapter devoted to Film Music in HB/ Noir films.

Very nice!

Bill
--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : buff@vex.net : Caveat lector.