[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Introduction

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Ann Theis wrote:

: One reason I signed on (thanks Bill) was that in the past year our
: library system received several complaints about books and videos
: that could be termed hard-boiled, noirish or black humorish. All the
: materials were retained in the collection. But it has been noted
: that of the very small number of complaints received there is a bit
: of tiny trend...

What kind of complaints?  The usual?  I've never heard of these kinds
of books being complained about, or banned; those people still seem
stuck on Judy Blume and Mark Twain.  Were there any particular writers
they complained about the most?  I can see Ellroy causing trouble, but
I wonder if Mike Hammer's anti-commie anti-invert violence-fests
bother them.

I can't remember which book I was reading that pointed it out, but
Spillane churning out his first batch of Hammer books while Hammett
was getting in trouble with HUAC is quite the dichotomy.

And you're welcome!

Bill
--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : buff@vex.net : Caveat lector.