[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett in anthologies

Jiro wrote:

> Incidentally, Ruhm said to me off the record in 1977, the reprint rights to
> two Hammett's stories cost a half of the payment for all the stories.  That
> may be the reason why some hardboiled anthologies (such as THE MAMMOTH BOOK
> OF PRIVATE EYE STORIES) don't have any of Hammett's stories.

I would add that Oxford University Press planned a year or two ago to
publish the complete Hammett short stories in honor of the 100th
anniversary of his birth, but the prices the estate wanted plus
confusion about who owned rights to what--the Hellman estate vs.
other claimants--meant that the project went a-glimmering.

Doug Greene
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]