[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Introduction

Oops, the first historical fiction book by Byrd was Jefferson,
not Lincoln. And in between the mysteries and the historical
fiction novels he wrote a couple of thrillers - Target of
Opportunity and Fuse Time. All his books are OP in the U.S.
except Jackson, and maybe the paperback version of Jefferson.

Intro:
I've been lurking so far, and  have been enjoying the discussions very
much.  I oversee all aspects of our library system's
collections and select fiction for our nine libraries. I read a
bit of everything, but am partial to books with an edge. I'm
currently reading The Speed Queen by Stewart O'Nan (was
supposed to be titled My Dear Stephen King). Just finished Easy
Meat by Harvey. Neither of these would really be termed
hard-boiled but both certainly had an edge... both very good.

One reason I signed on (thanks Bill) was that  in the past year our library
system received several complaints about books and videos that
could be termed hard-boiled, noirish or black humorish. All the
materials were retained in the collection. But it has been
noted that of the very  small number of complaints received there is
a bit of tiny trend...
So, aside from a personal interest in the topic of the list, I
have a professional interest and may require the expertise of
list members now and then.

Ann. off to order more books

--
Ann Chambers Theis