[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS:UK hardboiled

>> Can anyone recommend any British *hardboiled* writers?  It seems to be a
genre
>> we're not very good at.  Having said that I'd recommend the following:
>
>The traditional UK hardboiled is Peter Cheyney and his ops Slim
>Callaghan and Lemmy Dawson, but they're too much an obvious imitation
>of the US style for my taste.
>
>James Hadley Chase (NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH) was tougher--though now
we find that Graham Greene
>may have written one or two of the Chase novels--title's not yet
>revealed.
>
>Of current writers, you might try Mark Timlin.  A bit too rough for
>me, however.
And if Philip Marlowe isn't hardboiled, I think we've lost track of
>the discussion.

>'DOUGLAS GREENE'

Do not worry, with your message and some  new postings from others, we are
back on the track...

James Hadley Chase was obviously using ghost writers in his overflowing
production.
Interesting to know that Graham Greene could have been one of them.
Anyway Greene was obviously attracted by the detective/mystery genre that he
used in some of his well-known novels like:

This brings us back to another interesting subject: the 'two ways'
influences between literary and Mystery/HB novels mainly for style,
construction - developped in other interesting postings recently.

As for modern UK HB/Noir writers, I personally should add:

Ted Lewis  (very somber plots, but a very interesting and powerful writer)
One of his bests: ' Grevious Bodily Harm '

Also:  Robin Cook  (not to be confused with the writer with the same name,
involved with nurses, who is American and  a  second rate suspense writer)
Violent, cynical, somber with a style,construction and characters of his
own. A great writer who was denied recognition in the English/American
domain, even in his own country!

E.Borgers

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca