[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re : RARA-AVIS: Noir/Hardboiled

[LoLehmann@aol.com]
>>That said, I think that maybe, just maybe, we've done enough 'speculating
>> about meanings of terminology'. We came to the conclusion that
'hardboiled'
>> refers more to the style of writing, and 'noir' to the contents of the
story
>> (to make a long story short).

[snip]

>> Comments, anyone ?

What?  Did I miss something?  I don't think the collective work in this
thread can be accurately or reasonably summarised by the sentence:

>>We came to the conclusion that 'hardboiled'
>> refers more to the style of writing, and 'noir' to the contents of the
story

And then "Ann P. Melvin" <ann.melvin@sympatico.ca>
[who is really David Skene-Melvin] chimes in:

>Right On! Laurent is dead, (excuse the unintentional pun), right --
>"hardboiled" is the style and "noir" is the content.  That is the
>symbiosis toward which I have been scrabbling in the dark.  This is a
>true insight, and I, for one, am indebted.  I can now look at the corpus
>of "hardboiled" and "noir" texts, both literary and cinematic,
>historical and contemporary, in a new light.  It may, ultmately, prove to
>be only a false dawn, but, oh, how brightly doth it shine!

What is this?  Irony, right?
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]