[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: The Maltese Falcon, the criticism

At 12:47 PM 01.30.97 -0500, E J M. Duggan wrote:

>Note on background reading: see the very useful tome edited by William
>Luhr, *The Maltese Falcon: John Huston, director* (Rutger U. Press, 1995).

I have never heard about this book before.  This William Luhr wrote RAYMOND
CHANDLER AND FILM in 1982, didn't he?  I've gotta have this book.  I will
soon order it from my favorite mystery bookstore.

Checking through Lenard Maltin's MOVIE & VIDEO GUIDE, I found out that the
video version of the 1931 MALTESE FALCON and the 1936 version of  SATAN MET
A LADY are on sale.  I saw the both movies in New York about 20 years ago.
Cortes-Spade was not so bad, but after you see Bogart-Spade it would be
almost impossible to top Bogart.  After you read the original novel,  the
1936 version was just a laugh.  Bette Davis was a waste.  If you want to
buy another video version to compare with the 1941 masterpiece, I recommned
the 1931 Cortes version.  Yes, I want to buy it too.

Peter Dillon-Parkin wrote:

>On a previous list I introduced myself as co-editor (with my wife) of Crime
>Time, a UK magazine about crime fiction.

I am buying your CRIME TIME through Gary Lovisi, the publisher-editor of
HARDBOILED magazine, and received the first four issues of CRIME TIME.  Are
there issues five and six out yet?  It is very difficult to get these
issues in the Far East.

Jiro Kimura, sucker for the hardboiled stuff