[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Working towards a definition of sorts

    Regarding Bill Hagen's post, I think the reason why most
    (though by no means all) hard-boiled novels are set in big
    cities is that the author has a little more flexibility and
    credibility in creating memorably bizarre characters.  While
    blatant self-promotion, I'd use my John Cuddy series from
    Pocket Books as an example.  Of the eleven private investigator
    novels in the series, nine are set n the Boston area, and
    the two that aren't (FOURSOME and RESCUE) are both "fish out
    of water" plots that take the city-boy to the countryside
    (Maine and the Florida Keys, respectively).

    By contrast, I don't believe that many of my major characters
    in the nine "Boston" books would fly in small town or rural
    settings: Primo Zuppone, a mob enforcer who loves New Age
    music; Elie, a Lebanese fitness instructor who used to fight

    in Beirut as part of a Christian militia; Robert Murphy, an
    African-American homicide lieutenant who got his promotion
    when a bigoted city councillor mistook surname for race; etc.
    I also believe that I could make similar "big-city" arguments
    for certain settings and plot pivot points in the books.

    Put simply, a given stand-alone novel that fits the "hard-boiled"
    guidelines can be effectively and persuasively centered on
    a small-town canvas, but once you're into a series character
    (read: most private eye books), a larger canvas becomes almost
    essential.

                    Jeremiah Healy

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca