[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir/hardboiled

Doug Greene wrote:

>Well, it's clear that MDS is an academic.  The word "texts" has taken
>over many discussions!

Yeah, I guess if the "Department of English, University of Michigan" in my
signature file didn't tip you off, my use of "texts" would . . .

I confess to not knowing that there are Earlier film versions of *The
Maltese Falcon*.  Not that you've made me to eager to see them.  I wonder
if the other versions of the film left in the scene where Spade takes
O'Shaughnessy into a room and makes her strip to prove she doesn't have
the cash on her. I understand the scene is pretty racy, but I wonder why
it was necessary for Huston to exclude it entirely (interesting that the
stripping scene disappears from Huston's movie, when several years later
Pocket Books decides to reissue the novel with a new dustjacket whose
cover art features a representation of that very same scene). "MDS"

Michael D. Sharp                 "My time-wasting abilities are legendary!
msharp@umich.edu                 If only I could harness them as a force
Department of English            for good!" -- Shaun M. Strohmer
University of Michigan

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca