[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir/hardboiled

Michael David Sharp wrote:

> How does Huston's *Maltese Falcon* movie compare to Hammett's novel?  I do
> not mean "which is better?" or "does it lose something in the
> translation?" I mean, are their tones/moods/styles similar or dissimilar,
> and how so?  It would be cool if we could start talking specifics about
> different Noir-Boiled texts (not that the generalities aren't
> fascinating). Michael

Well, it's clear that MDS is an academic.  The word "texts" has taken
over many discussions!

But to the point:  I like both versions, and I think that
Huston/Bogart do /does very well in translating the feeling of the
novel to the screen--certainly better than the 2 earlier versions.
The 1931 film with Ricardo Cortez isn't too bad, but the 1936 with
Bette Davis and warren Williams, called SATAN MET A LADY, is
dreadful.

Not only did Huston stay fairly close to Hammett's original but his
b&w cinematography keeps the mood.  The colorized version, however, is almost
as bad as the Davis/Cortez.

But no film version can include Flitcraft.

Doug
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca