[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Michael Collins/Japanese hardboiled fiction

E J M. Duggan writes:

>Ah, but this is the 1990s, and 'noir' is a snappy term --- a loosely
>defined catchall with some cache.
>that you can already hear the poncey chat-show crowd with literary
>pretensions
>''Oh yeah, it's so Nu-wah in its am-be-yonce''
>[well, maybe Tony Parsons, anyway]

OK, perhaps. But, though I don't know Pronzini or his writing well, he
doesn't seem too big on literary pretension, and I don't think his free
use of the word "noir" in describing HB fiction is designed to impress
anyone. The intro to the collection is acutally very no-nonsense, very
helpful, and (as an English teacher I love this part) very clearly
written. Recommended.

Michael D. Sharp                 "My time-wasting abilities are legendary!
msharp@umich.edu                 If only I could harness them as a force
Department of English            for good!" -- Shaun M. Strohmer
University of Michigan