[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Working towards a definition of sorts

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, michael david sharp wrote:

> but since the films' thematic origins are In The Writing, *noir* seems a
> perfectly appropriate (if general) way of describing much crime fiction.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this.  Hammet, Cain et al were
published & recognized LONG before the french discovered the "B"
movie.  "Roman noir" doesn't have the cache or the weight of hard
boiled, because Hard boiled is the name of the American school. It
was in film that something 'new' was seen (by the french) which was
akin to the much earlier & established 'hard boiled'.

Roman noir has always struck me as an affection...

Virginia

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

Follow-Ups: References: