[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: "hardboiled"/women authors + Highsmith

RE: Patricia Highsmith. I have read only The Talented Mr. Ripley, and it
really is amazing.  She takes that villain-as-hero idea and plays it out
so ingeniously.  The tension in that initial threesome (Ripley, his
friend, his friend's girlfriend -- can't remember their names offhand) is
eerie, yet has a twisted humor about it. I'm afraid to read the other
Ripley books for fear he will become tiresome.  Does he keep killing
people he loves and then assuming their identities? Michael

Michael D. Sharp                       "And trewely he were a greet fool
msharp@umich.edu                       that wolde kisse the mouth of a
Department of English                  brennynge oven or of a fourneys."
University of Michigan                              --The Parson

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca