[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: My evening with Ellroy - a report

For what it's worth, I thought I'd report on the appearance and reading
last night by James Ellroy at the College of William and Mary.  I would
encourage all to see him, if possible, if he comes to an area near you.
He said that his book tour is over for now and he is on his way to
France.  Don't know if that's for vacation or a European tour.  As was
mentioned by someone else, he will be on "Sunday Morning" this coming
week.

The most striking thing about him to me is that he speaks the way he
writes.  He uses large vocal gestures and inflections for emphasis and
sprinkles profanity as a "natural" punctuation to his language.  I'm
assuming that this is his normal style and not some public performance,
though afterwards at a reception he asked eveyone how they enjoyed "the
show."  He also referred to anyone who might be close to his own age (48)
as "Daddy-O."  (I have to admit that's a real kick to be called that by
Ellroy.  Kind of like having Sinatra refer to you as "punk.")
Physically, he is quite tall and lanky and walks with a sloping, jerky
shoulders style that is distinctive.

I asked him afterwards to describe his writing style and he said, as I
suspected, that he talks to himself as he writes to get the cadences
correct.  He said that he likes to do these readings for the same reason.
 Interestingly, he write his manuscripts not only by hand, but in block
capitals.  (There was a local psychiatrist at the reading who is also a
mystery buff and I was dying to ask him about his view of all this, but I
didn't!)

I also asked him how he viewed other "hardboiled" writers and he said
that he rapidly grew beyond liking Chandler and thought much more highly
of Hammett and Cain, which was no great surprise.  Interestingly, he said
he hates authors that some assume he must like:  Hunter S. Thompson and
William Burroughs, for example, who he dismissed as "drug addicts and
wife murderers"

The best question from the largely college-age audience was "How do you
see yourself dying," to which he replied, "At a very old age and in my
own bed."  I regretted later that I did not ask him the question posed on
the list about going soft now that he has written the story of his own
mother's death.  He did say, not surprisingly, that the touchstone for
his writing is the whole history of L.A. crime.  (He's sure O.J. did it,
by the way.)  He said that following his mother's death he started
reading nothing but crime stories, beginning with children's crime
novels.  Interestingly, as a very young child (his out-of-work father
used to pass the time reading on the couch and taught the young Ellroy to
read at the age of 3) he avoided stories in which animals are hurt and
his father used to have to review all the books his youngster wrote to
ensure they didn't contain that subject.

He was asked about why his books haven't been made into movies and he
said that "Blood on the Moon" was made into a horrible on called "Cop"
with James Woods and Lesley Ann Warren.  (He described Woods as being
among the most ineffective of actors.)  He did reveal, however, that
"L.A. Confidential," the third of his so-called L.A. Quartet, will be
coming out in May or October.  I wished I'd written down all the details,
but among those involved in the production are Danny DeVito as the gossip
collumnist, James Cromwell (the farmer in "Babe") as Dallas Smith and a
rather "long in the tooth" (according to Ellroy) Kim Bassinger as the
female lead.  It's directed by Curtis Hanson who did "The Hand that Rocks
the Cradle" and "The River Wild."  Ellroy's seen about 20 minutes of it,
he says, and believes it will be very good.

I should also mention that speaking before Ellroy was an equally
fascinating Robert Pollito, author of the Edgar and National Book Critics
Circle awards winning "Savage Art," a biography of Jim Thompson.  He read
a section about Thompson's relationship with his father which was a nice
counterpoint to Ellroy's piece about his mother's death.  Pollito, who is
also a poet, said that he feels Thompson's place in American culture is
more as a catalyst than anything else.  Talking with him afterwards we
agreed that his influence infused the creative atmosphere that makes
possible works by filmakers like the Coen brothers and Tarrantino.

Didn't mean to be so long-winded, but I thought some of this would be of
interest to list members.

Regards,

Patrick

++ Patrick Golden ++ Program Services Manager ++ pgolden@leo.vsla.edu