[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Iceberg Slim's vocabulary

>Yes, Tosh, I am actually stunned at how good Iceberg Slim's writing is.
>It's the kind of writing that at times has made me literally stop and
>think, "wow." *Mama Black Widow* started great, lulled, and now it's just
>blazing. I love it (I'm half-way done). I'll look in *Pimp* for a
>definition of "foreskin" as slang: I saw a copy in a local used bookstore.
>I think Holloway House has recently reprinted all his stuff. Thanks,
>Michael

BLACK MAMA WIDOW is an amazing book!  It is sort of a combination of a
Douglas Sirk movie with a little bit of John Waters, and a daytime soap
opera thrown in the mix.  And yes, he's a hard-boiled writer.  All of his
books are in print, but sometimes hard to find.  Holloway House is the
publisher and they're located in L.A.  Speaking of L.A., the only stores
that usually carries Iceberg's books are the big newstand on Hollywood and
Cahuanga and AMOK BOOKS on Vermont.

Tosh Berman
TamTam Books

-