[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re : RARA-AVIS: Japanese hardboiled

Jiro wrote :

> The guy who wears a trench coat and a snap brim hat, drinks bourbon and
listens
> to jazz is widely concidered a hardboiled guy in Japan.

Guess John Woo and Chow-Yuen Fat (french transcription, sorry) are to blame
for this one.
Don't you think '60s and '70s Yakuza movies qualify as hardboiled ?
I think that maybe the definition of hardboiled (e.g. Daly's heirs) used on
this list is too restrictive, and doesn't encompass '90s noir fiction.

> I regard my own private eye fiction as "scrambled" because it has
hardboiled,
> softboiled, poached, sunny-side-up, Benedictine, foo-yang and rancho
factors
> mixed together.

Is some of your fiction available in english or even french. I don't have the
time to learn Japanese, although it might come handy when deciphering my
camera's handbook...

There aren't many japanese writers published here in France. Are there some
japanese 'hardboiled' or noir writers ?
If I remember well, you said you translated some hardboiled authors in
japanese. Is it popular or just some kind of exotica ?

Laurent
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]