[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Ellroy Going Positive On Us?

I read a newspaper article last weekend about James Ellroy and in it
Ellroy said he is changing his focus from "bad white men doing
bad things" to a more positive vein. Apparently his characters will
overcome their own bad natures to achieve redemption. I've been an
Ellroy enthusiast for some time, though I don't know if I'd recommend
him to my grandmother--he goes too far sometimes with the gore.
His latest work (nonfiction), MY DARK PLACES, may well have been some
sort of turning point for him, though the newspaper article I read
still gave out the telephone number to call for information about his
mother's murder. He admits to shamlessly capitalizing on this terrible
event.

Richard King
rking@vunet.vinu.edu
http://rking.vinu.edu