[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Hammett Bibliography/Japanese hardboiled

At 05:04 PM 01.21.97 -0500, E J M Duggan wrote:

>Dashiell Hammett's The Continental Op: A Bibliography.
>
>"Death and Company"  The Black Mask (Feb 1930).

Eddie Duggan has mistype the date as indicated above.
"Death and Company" was printed in the November 1930 issue of Black Mask
(without "The" in that year).

As for the Japanese hardboiled fiction, I now write a very short answer,
since I am very bad at writing a long essay (well, I am not a scholar type)
because of my difficulties with  a sentence syntax, composition,
vocabularies and structure as well as my simple laziness.

The term "hardboiled" is more misused and abused in Japan than in the USA
and Europe, I don't use the term frequently these days.  The guy who wears
a trench coat and a snap brim hat, drinks bourbon and listens to jazz is
widely concidered a hardboiled guy in Japan.  The fiction with this kind of
guy and a lot of sex and violence alone is widely concidered hardboiled in
Japan.  Therefore, there are more than enough so-called "hardboiled"
fiction around in Japan.  I regard my own private eye fiction as
"scrambled" because it has hardboiled, softboiled, poached, sunny-side-up,
Benedictine, foo-yang and rancho factors mixed together.   Sorry, this
answer is going longer than I first expected.

Jiro Kimura