[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: New Member Introduces Himself

Bill and others interested:
Here is the hardboiled part of that library Mystery Program I was in
charge of (actually, it has been two years ago):
AMERICAN HARDBOILED I: FROM BLACK MASK TO THE COLLEGE CAMPUS
Raymond Chandler's "Red Wind"(short story)
Ross MacDonald's THE UNDERGROUND MAN

AMERICAN HARDBOILED II: POETS OF THE GUTTER (noir writers)
David GOodis's SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER
Charles Willeford's THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY

AMERICAN HARDBOILED III: TOMBSTONES AND FLAMINGOS
Lawrence Block's A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES
James Lee Burke's A STAINED WHITE RADIANCE

You can see the progression here from earlier to modern hardboiled
writings. We also had a night when I did a general history of the
detective fiction from, say, the Bible to latter 20th C. Then we had
a Sherlock Holmes/Dorothy Sayers night, a Sue Grafton/Sara Paretsky night,
a P.D. James/Julie Smith night, and Spy Night (Maugham's ASHENDEN).
Plus, we had a guest mystery writer, Terence Faherty (LOST KEATS and
other fine novels--he is an Indiana author).
   Overall, everyone was very happy with the program and I enjoyed
doing my own presentations (I did "Red Wind" and BURNT ORANGE HERESY)
and contacting presenters and other aspects of planning. I personally
would have chosen some different works here and there, but of course
the presenters were allowed to choose their own. Any comments?
--Richard King (rking@vunet.vinu.edu - http://rking.vinu.edu)

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]