[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: New Member Introduces Himself

On 19 Jan 1997 RKING@VUNET.VINU.EDU wrote:

: I recently ran a detective fiction program for the local public
: library (lasted one semester) and I had about one-third of the
: program focus on hard-boiled fiction.  It was successful, though
: many of the participants were more interested in cozies, I
: discovered.

A sad fact of life, as I've found out at parties.  "Oh, I like
mysteries too - do you have the latest Sister Margaretha and Brother
Umlaut?"

What books did you use for the hardboiled section of your course?  I'd
be interested in hearing.  I took an English course about mysteries as
an undergrad, and the prof included _The Big Sleep_ and _The Maltese
Falcon_, and maybe one of Bill Pronzini's Nameless Detective books.
The rest were about what you'd guess:  some Doyle, Christie, Poe,
Chesterton, Queen, up to a Paretsky and a couple of other current (8
or 9 years ago) writers.

Bill
--
William Denton : buff@vex.net     <-- Please note new address.