[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Corrections Department: Hammett/Spade

Corrections Department:

Eddie Duggan kindly reminds me that Dashiell Hammett's story "Too many
have lived" was published in 1932 - it thus appeared _after_ The Maltese
Falcon. In my review of "The Mammoth Book of Pulp Fiction" I wrongly and
hastily assertedthat this was Spade's first appearance. In this, I was
misled by editor Jakubowski's introduction, in which he makes the same
assertion. While sitting in my library confirming Eddie's correction,
I dug up the anthology "Great Detectives", Pantheon, 1984, edited by
David Willis McCullough, which contains all three Spade stories,
including "Too many have lived".

Regards, and apologies,

Mario Taboada
taboada@math.odu.edu