[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Hello

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Davis Skene Melvin wrote:

: I'm the new kid on the block.  My interest in hard-boiled detective
: fiction is wrapt in my interest in crime fiction in general and
: Canadian crime fiction in particular, of which latter I am THE
: bibliographer, having just published: CANADIAN CRIME FICTION
: 1817-1996; an annotated comprehensive bibliography and biographical
: dictionary of Canadian crime writers,

Hey, nice to have you here.  I heard an interview with you done by
Shelagh Rogers, I think, on the CBC a little while back.

Do you know of any Canadian novels that qualify as hardboiled?  Howard
Engel's Benny Cooperman mysteries are usually held up as being about
as close as a Canadian can get, we being a quiet, retiring people.
The books are quite good, but Benny's more softboiled, or even poached
(and he loves to eat egg sandwiches).  I prefer Eric Wright's Charlie
Salter books, but they're more Canadian police procedurals (until
recently, I think he's changed a bit lately).  Are there any Canadians
who write more classically hardboiled stuff, or twisted noirish
things?

Speaking of bibliographies, I have pretty well finished off Ross
Macdonald (I don't know if I mentioned that before), John D. MacDonald
and James M. Cain.  JDM was quite a demon, he really pumped them out.
Again, corrections are welcomed - thanks to Michael Sharp for a lot of
additions and corrections to the JDM biblio.

Cheers,

Bill
http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/biblio/
--