[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Introduction (and Hammett comic strip)

Glad to learn today about the existence of this group.  I like almost
every type of detective fiction as long it has some detection--in
other words, the Jim Thompson style is not up my mean street.

I am a collector of detective fiction, especially of short
stories--have almost all the Hammett and Chandler short story
collections.  This short story interest led my wife and me two years
ago to found Crippen & Landru Publishers  (I hope that most of you
will "get" the murderous name!).  So far, we have published 6 short
story collections and one 8-part radio play.  Two of our collections
are by private-eye writers, Marcia Muller (Sharon McCone) and Bill Pronzini (Nameless),
and we have books scheduled by two other authors who may be of
interest to this group: Ed Gorman and Michael Collins.

You can check us on our web site:   http://www.avalon.net/~scott/cl/

Some small publishers are issuing collections of hardboiled stories
from the pulps.  Fedogan & Bremer, which has previously done horror
collections, just published Howard Wandrei's THE LAST PIN, and Dennis
McMillan plans to publish Howard Browne's complete pulp detective
stories under the title INCREDIBLE INK this Spring, in honor of
Browne's 90th birthday.  He is best known for his Paul Pine novels,
which are often considered very much in the Chandler-Ross Macdonald
tradition.

Otherwise--I teach at old Dominion Unviersity in Norfolk, VA; I'm a
member of the MWA, frequently attend Bouchercons (see you in
Monterey?), and have done a fair amount of writing about the
genre--but not about the hardboiled style.  My most recent work is
the biography JOHN DICKSON CARR: THE MAN WHO EXPLAINED MIRACLES
(Simon & Schuster/Otto Penzler Books).

Incidentally, the Internatiuonal polygonics printing of hammett's
SECRET AGENT X-9 was, last I heard, still in print.
Doug Greene

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca