[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: hardboiled comics

William Denton wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Flavio wrote:
>
> : -SECRET AGENT X9 (http://mmnewsstand.com/AgentX/)- spy comic strip
> : written by Hammett (I'm not sure he wrote all the stories).
>
> This is a different Secret Agent X9, I think.  It looks good, though.
> I think Hammett's stuff was printed in a book, but does anyone know if
> it's available?  Or what the storylines were like?
>
> Thanks for the list, Flavio, I'll check out the URLs.  I saw a comic
> (or, as some prefer, graphic novel) interpretation of Paul Auster's
> New York trilogy, which was great.  It's a kind of surreal noirish
> thing that draws a lot on the genre (and is very unsettling in parts),
> and it worked well as a comic.  I think any good hardboiled story,
> especially with someone like Marlowe or Spade, or with some twisted
> Jim Thompson characters, could be done the same way.  I guess you
> haven't heard of any, or else they'd be on the list?
>
> Bill
> --
> William Denton : buff@vex.net     <-- Please note new address.
> Toronto, Canada                   <-- I'm not at io.org any more.
> http://www.vex.net/~buff/         Caveat lector.
>
> -

David Mazzucchelli's adaptation of "City of Glass" was published by Avon
Books (http://AvonBooks.com/) and is probably available from
Fantagraphics, whose URL seems to be no longer operational.
In this same series (called "Neon Lit") there's also a Barry Gifford's
"Perdita Durango" adaptation. Since I 've never read the original story
I have no idea how hb it really is.

Flavio
"My name is Peter Stillman"- Paul Auster
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca