[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Chandler bibliography

I got the first of the biblio pages pretty well done last night, and
I'd like to comments from the group, on the format as well as any
corrections you see.

The URL for the Chandler biblio is

    http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/biblio/chandler.html

and I'll include it below for those who don't have web access (the web
version has titles italicized, of course).  I also have a W.R. Burnett
one I'm getting looked over.  Next I'll probably try Hammett, and go
on from there.  If anyone has any bibliographies on a computer or is
willing to do a little typing, I'd love to get a copy for the web
site.  Of course, you'd be credited.

Bill
--
William Denton : buff@vex.net     <-- Please note new address.
Toronto, Canada                   <-- I'm not at io.org any more.

                              Raymond Chandler

Books

     * The Big Sleep (Knopf, 1939)
     * Farewell, My Lovely (Knopf, 1940)
     * The High Window (Knopf, 1942)
     * The Lady in the Lake (Knopf, 1943)
     * The Little Sister (Houghton Mifflin, 1949)
     * The Simple Art of Murder (Houghton Mifflin, 1950)
          + "The Simple Art of Murder"
          + "Spanish Blood"
          + "I'll Be Waiting"
          + "The King in Yellow"
          + "Pearls Are a Nuisance"
     * Trouble is My Business (Penguin, 1950)
          + "Trouble is My Business"
          + "Finger Man"
          + "Goldfish"
          + "Red Wind"
     * The Long Goodbye (Houghton Mifflin, 1953)
     * Playback (Houghton Mifflin, 1958)
     * Poodle Springs (uncomplete 1959, finished by Robert B. Parker
       1989, original incomplete draft published in Raymond Chandler
       Speaking, 1984)
     * Killer in the Rain (1964)
          + "Killer in the Rain"
          + "The Man Who Liked Dogs"
          + "The Curtain"
          + "Try the Girl"
          + "Mandarin's Jade"
          + "Bay City Blues"
          + "The Lady in the Lake"
          + "No Crime in the Mountains"
     * The Notebooks of Raymond Chandler (Ecco, 1976; edited by Frank
       MacShane)
          + Many excerpts from notebooks
          + "English Summer"

Note

   Chandler would often cannabilize earlier short stories for novels, and
   it can be a strange experience to read the short stories after the
   novel. He didn't allow the stories to be collected and printed in his
   lifetime, but they show up in Killer in the Rain.

   The Big Sleep uses "The Curtain" and "Killer in the Rain." Farewell,
   My Lovely uses "The Man Who Liked Dogs," "Try the Girl," and
   "Mandarin's Jade." The Lady in the Lake uses "Bay City Blues," "The
   Lady in the Lake" and "No Crime in the Mountains."

Short Works

     * "Blackmailers Don't Shoot" (Black Mask, December 1933)
     * "Smart-Aleck Kill" (Black Mask, July 1934)
     * "Finger Man" (Black Mask, October 1934)
     * "Killer in the Rain" (Black Mask, January 1935)
     * "Nevada Gas" (Black Mask, June 1935)
     * "Spanish Blood" (Black Mask, November 1935)
     * "Guns at Cyrano's" (Black Mask, January 1936)
     * "The Man Who Liked Dogs" (Black Mask, March 1936)
     * "Noon Street Nemesis" (a.k.a. "Pick-up on Noon Street") (Detective
       Fiction Weekly, 30 May 1936)
     * "Goldfish" (Black Mask, June 1936)
     * "The Curtain" (Black Mask, September 1936)
     * "Try the Girl" (Black Mask, January 1937)
     * "Mandarin's Jade" (Dime Detective Magazine, November 1937)
     * "Red Wind" (Dime Detective Magazine, January 1938)
     * "The King in Yellow" (Dime Detective Magazine, March 1938)
     * "Bay City Blues" (Dime Detective Magazine, June 1938)
     * "The Lady in the Lake" (Dime Detective Magazine, January 1939)
     * "Pearls Are a Nuisance" (Dime Detective Magazine, April 1939)
     * "Trouble Is My Business" (Dime Detective Magazine, August 1939)
     * "I'll Be Waiting" (Saturday Evening Post, 14 October 1939)
     * "The Bronze Door" (Unknown, November 1939)
     * "No Crime in the Mountains" (Detective Story, September 1941)
     * "The Simple Art of Murder" (essay) (The Atlantic Monthly, December
       1944)
     * "Writers in Hollywood" (article) (The Atlantic Monthly, November
       1945)
     * "Oscar Night in Hollywood" (article) (The Atlantic Monthly, March
       1948)
     * "Professor Bingo's Snuff" (Park East Magazine, June-August 1951)
     * "A Couple of Writers" (1951) (first published in Raymond Chandler
       Speaking, 1984)
     * "Ten Per Cent of Your Life" (The Atlantic Monthly, February 1952)
     * "English Summer" (1957) (first printed in The Notebooks of Raymond
       Chandler, 1976)
     * "Marlowe Takes on the Syndicate" (1958) (London Daily Mail, 6-10
       April 1959; published as "Wrong Pidgeon" in Manhunt, February
       1961; a.k.a. "The Pencil")

Screenplays

     * Double Indemnity (1944, with Billy Wilder)
     * The Unseen (1945, with Hagar Wilde)
     * The Blue Dahlia (1946)
     * Playback (1948) (never filmed, published as Raymond Chandler's
       Unknown Thriller, 1985)
     * Strangers on a Train (1951, with Whitfield Cook and Czenzi
       Ormonde)
     * Once You Meet a Stranger (1996, remake of Strangers on a Train,
       Tommy Lee Wallace reworking script)

Adaptations

     * The Falcon Takes Over (1942, from Farewell, My Lovely)
     * Time to Kill (1942, from ?)
     * And Now Tomorrow (1944, from ?)
     * Murder, My Sweet (1944, from Farewell, My Lovely)
     * The Big Sleep (1946)
     * The Brasher Doubloon (1947, from The High Window)
     * Lady in the Lake (1947)
     * "The Adventures of Philip Marlowe" (17 June 1947 - 15 September
       1951) (NBC, CBS radio)
     * Marlowe (1969, from The Little Sister)
     * The Long Goodbye (1973)
     * Farewell, My Lovely (1975)
     * The Big Sleep (1978)
     * "Philip Marlowe, Private Eye" (1989) (TV series)