[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled slang

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, David Geelan wrote:

: 1. To what extent to gangsters read crime fiction? (Indeed, to what
: extent to they read?)

I bet they used to read the pulps.  (Isn't there a David Goodis book
where a guy gets tangled up with a small gang (a guy, his girlfriend
and two henchman, and of course he sleeps with the girlfriend) where
one of the gang is always reading a pulp magazine?)  And, they would
have watched movies too, which were influenced by the pulps, and
sometimes written by writers for the pulps.

: But basically, if you read a cool saying, and liked it, wouldn't you
: adopt it?

I sure do.  I try to pepper my conversation with hardboiled slang.
It's very entertaining.

Bill
--
William Denton : buff@vex.net     <-- Please note new address.