[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Are we up and running yet?

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Bill Murray wrote:

: Yes! I'm archiving this thread for posterity:-) I'm really excited
: about the prospects for discovering more HB authors and gathering new
: insights into familiar works. Thanks for starting it:)

You're very welcome.  It came about when Eddie Duggan and I were
discussing the lack of a central place to talk about these important
matters.  Rec.arts.mystery has some very good threads and readers, but
mailing lists can work a lot better.  I'm on a Frank Sinatra mailing
list that can get up to 100 messages a day, while weeks can go by
without mention of him in news.  I'm archiving all the traffic on
here, and monthly chunks will go on the web.  Like you, I'm hoping to
pick up a lot, and I'm also hoping we can get a good FAQ or some kind
of similar resource together.

: I seem to recall you mentioning that you had the anthology "Hard
: Boiled" by Bill Pronzini & Jack Adrian? If so, then you're in luck
: the Cain story in there - "Trouble Chaser" has not been reprinted
: anywhere before.

Hey, you've got a good memory.  That was a very good anthology. (I
have a couple of others, old paperbacks - I'll have to make a web page
for anthologies.)  I thought about getting it in hardcover, but it was
damn expensive.  Do you happen to know if it's in paperback?

: I thought it was hype when I read, time after time, that "Fast One"
: was the hardest novel of it's time and one of the hardest ever. Boy
: was I wrong. This guy would depress Jim Thompson:)

Well, you got me now.  I'm going to get a copy of this as soon as I
can. :)

Bill
--
William Denton : buff@vex.net     <-- Please note new address.