RARA-AVIS: Hard Boiled Crime Book Club

From: David Rachels (RachelsDA@comcast.net)
Date: 01 Nov 2010

    The annoyed reader writes . . .

    I received in the mail today what I took to be the latest shipment from the Hard Case Crime Book Club. Having lost track of what HCC book might be coming next (and unsure of whether there were any more coming from Dorchester at all), I opened the package with some sense of excitement . . . and I was much surprised to find a copy of a ten-year-old Sunny Randall novel by Robert B. Parker.

    Looking at the enclosed invoice (no money due, of course--they've already taken my $5.99), I was surprised to see that I am now a member of something called the Hard Boiled Crime Book Club.

    Was I warned that they were going to do this to me? I don't know--I don't usually look at the fine print when they send me a new book. But in any case: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

    David R.