RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Boothe, not Keach.

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 22 Sep 2010

    Kevin wrote:
    "Well, yeah. He never made any bones about it -- that's exactly what he planned. I'm sure Jim or someone can give you the exact quote. At least Altman displayed an understanding and awareness of -- and arguably, respect for -- Chandler, even if his intention was to subvert him." I'll be that someone that fans the flame. Here's what Altman said:
    "The research material we used primarily was Raymond Chandler Speaking, a series of letters, and I made everybody that worked on the picture read that thoroughly. I took the two main characters, both Philip Marlowe and Roger Wade, and I took character traits of Chandler and I applied them to both, and I made one the voice and the other the conscience. His plots are so complicated and so full of holes that the way he plugged the holes was to further complicate them. But he used this thread to hang about sixty thumbnail essays on, so the real interest in Raymond Chandler, to me, were those essays. We tightened the plot up; I dropped half the characters probably; then I used that line to hang a bunch of film essays on. They weren't actually lifted from Raymond Chandler so much as they were projections of him, because if Raymond Chandler were alive in 1972 he wouldn't see things the way he did in 1950 because he would himself have been that much older. I've kept the story in 1952