RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 16 Sep 2010

    Eric wrote:

    > (Elliot Gould said)
    > "The Chandler estate is supporting it. Because I played Marlowe once, I have their approval to play him again. They regard The Long Goodbye as the only film that properly represents Chandler, aside from the original films with Humphrey Bogart."
    >
    > Is this correct?

    It can't be. "Films"? As in plural? A typo? Gould doesn't know what he was talking about? Or was it the reporter?

    Bogart only played Marlowe once on film. Unless someone thought THE MALTESE FALCON was a Chandler novel. Which, given Bogie's similar performance, isn't completely impossible.

    Anywa, to tell you the truth, the notion of a "Chandler estate" at this point is a little scary. He's been dead for years, and he never had kids. We probably care more about his legacy right here at Rara Avis than some profit-obsessed bean counters.

    The never-ending argument about THE LONG GOODBYE -- for which none of us are getting paid -- is proof enough of that.

    Kevin Burton Smith Editor/Founder The Thrilling Detective Web Site
    "Wasting your time on the web since 1998."