Re: RARA-AVIS: The Long Goodbye

From: WALKER MARTIN (wamartin2@verizon.net)
Date: 16 Sep 2010

    ------I like the films of Robert Altman alot but to say "They regard The Long Goodbye as the only film that properly represents Chandler, aside from the original films with Humphrey Bogart", only means the Chandler estate doesn't know anything about the Marlowe movies.
      There was only one Bogart film with him as Marlowe and there were several interesting adaptations starring Dick Powell, Robert Mitchum, etc.  The Long Goodbye version with Gould is just about as far from Chandler's idea of Marlowe as possible.  I still find the film of interest and I've viewed it several times, but I fail to see much of Chandler in it.  Altman always liked to put his personal stamp on the movies he directed and he got some very interesting results.  I shudder at the thought of Gould in a sequel.

    ------Walker Martin.