RARA-AVIS: Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 13 Sep 2010

    I'll second Gonzalo's enthusiasm for this book. Very strong debut written in lean literary prose as it moves back and forth between 1987 and 2008. The novel starts are in 1987 where we Roy Cady, a 40 year-old violent mob enforcer, learning he has terminable cancer. When the novel jumps to 2008 Roy is still alive, but barely a shell of what he once was, and physically completely broken. As the novel jumps back again, it will unfold the events that caused him to end up like he did. This is a novel that filled we with a real sense of dread as I waited for the inevitable, and packs quite a punch as Roy's fate is unveiled and he has to come to grips with what he's really about. Highly recommended.

    --Dave