RARA-AVIS: Seeking mystery novel

From: Karin Montin (kmontin@videotron.ca)
Date: 03 Sep 2010

    Years ago I read a novel that had the protagonist chasing the bad guys
    (or somebody) from one small town to another in the southern U.S. A lot of the towns had hot springs and were former spas, so there were big, rundown old hotels. It was the first time I ever heard "Never eat at a place named Ma's" and "Never play poker with a man named Doc."

    Anyone know what book that might have been?

    Karin