RARA-AVIS: Sean Doolittle's THE CLEANUP

From: davidcorbett622 (davidcorbettauthor@gmail.com)
Date: 03 Sep 2010

    After several recommendations from folks on this list (thanks!), I chose THE CLEANUP for my book group and we had our confab last night. It generated one of our better discussions, because though we all loved it, we did have some thoughts about how we might have done something differently here or there, none of which is all that important, it's what book groups do. I just want to recommend this book as highly as I can. I know that, since Sean is from Omaha, he gets pigeon-holed as the laconic Midwesterner, and he can be incredibly deadpan. But the prose in this book is so deceptively simple and straightforward it's almost like watching someone cut glass. His focus is so precise and careful. He removes himself so completely, so that his characters and the story can step forward. And the characters are just beautifully imagined and deftly drawn (with one exception, we thought, but not to any degree that ruined our love of the book). And it's funny. As in very. But not to where he plays anything strictly for laughs. Again, the humor just arises naturally from the story and characters, you buy in completely. A really fun and engaging read.

    Seriously, if you haven't checked Sean Doolittle out yet, I'd say give this a shot.

    David Corbett www.davidcorbett.com