RARA-AVIS: Re: Slayground

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Sep 2010

    Does anybody know then this exploitative notion of "right to characters" started in the film industry? It's atrocious for writers that somebody would have a right to something they haven't even written (future installments in a series, for example). Or am I reading this wrong? It seems that there is almost a boilerplate expectation on the part of those buying film rights, which makes me wonder how it started and why it has been accepted.

    Best,

    mrt