RARA-AVIS: Re: Harper about to come on - TCM

From: Dick Lochte (dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 22 Aug 2010

    Patrick mentioned that Paul Newman did not resemble the Lew Archer of the novels. But does Macdonald ever tell us what Archer looked like? Does Chandler gives us much of a description of Marlowe, except for his height
    (which is where Bogart falls short -- sorry)? Describing the physical aspects of your hero isn't easy to do when you're writing first-person narration. Though Hammett managed to put the image of the Op in our minds. And MacDonald gave us a complete picture of Travis McGee, using McGee's often annoying self-referencing. I'm wondering if it might not be better to let the reader fill in the blanks. Any opinions?