RARA-AVIS: Re:Noir -- Penzler, Kerry, Brian, Jack and MRT

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "rrandisi@..." <rrandisi@...> wrote:

    > If the key to Noir is that the "protag" comes to a tragic end, where's the suspense? Doesn't there have to be a ghost of a chance that he might prevail?

    Franz Kafks's Josef K. thinks he has a chance... but Kafka makes it clear to the reader that he really doesn't. Yet we keep reading about poor K. trying to penetrate the Castle, etc. Strange to say, but that tenacious activity, though it is felt to be pointless, is absorbingly interesting. However, I agree with you that an element of suspense is generally necessary for people to continue reading. And Kafka's stuff has never sold like hot cakes. You need to sit down and take the relentless failure... not a hero in sight anywhere, no salvation. Most people want a bit of a real game going on!

    Best,

    mrt