Re: RARA-AVIS: Moratorium on serial murderer mysteries?

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Aug 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "gsp.schoo@..." <gsp.schoo@...> wrote:

    > When they became formulaic serial-killer yarns are more about spooks and monsters than noir and/or hardboil. Anyway, when anything becomes a formula it's time to move on. Even babies outgrow formulas.

    True, and after all the complaints about the PI formula being exhausted, I find more variety in those types of stories than I am finding in the serial killer subgenre. You can have a PI and write practically any type of story, be it pure mystery or a thriller, or even an existentialist story (of the kind that James Sallis does so well). The PI story is not a one-track formula, it's loose enough to allow for variety.

    Best,

    mrt